Conduct audits in accordance with the Yearly Audit Plan to ensure that all activities and responsibilities carried out by departments conform to the law, financial events, financial regulations, procedures and circulars used by the Kuala Lumpur City Hall and submit the audit results to the Mayor.
Help maintain the image of the Kuala Lumpur City Hall in terms of financial management in a proper and orderly manner.
The main functions of the Internal Audit Department are as follow:
- To determine whether financial operations are being managed in a orderly manner, and all policies, rules and reguations are being followed.
- To determine the soundness, completeness and reliability of the records in the Accounting System and Internal Control System.
- To accurately and systematically evalute the completeness, adequacy, efficiency and effectiveness of operations at Kuala Lumpur City Hall and departments below it.
- To recommend ways to improve the management of finances, stocks and other resources to increase accountability.
- To submit independent and impartial reports to the Mayor regarding the operations at Kuala Lumpur City Hall departments so that the Mayor can make decisions accordingly.
The Audit Department is responsible for conducting financial management audits and performance audits. Financial Management Audits include the examination of financial systems, internal controls, and financial records to determine whether expenses, revenues, assets and stores have been handled according to related laws, regulations and instructions. Performance Audits on the other hand include the evaluation of an organization’s activities to determine whether their goal has been reached and resources have used prudently, effiectively and efficiently.